Chocolate and pets; more for me?

April 2, 2015 Uncategorised 0 Comments

We would like to wish all of our readers and followers a very happy and safe long weekend (and Easter for those celebrating it)! You could tell that Easter was approaching a while ago by the amount of very tempting, delicious looking chocolate lining the shelves in the shops. So how has it still managed to creep up on me?! I always love this time of year; extra days off work to be at home with the dogs, a good excuse to eat chocolate and the perfect time to get together with the family. It’s also important to remember that, whilst we love our pets and it feels great to share our delicious treats, chocolate is always best kept to yourself!

The cocoa in chocolate contains something called theobromine which is toxic to all pets, not just dogs. The level of toxicity is based on the amount consumed so the effect will therefore vary not only on the type of chocolate ingested (white, milk or dark) but also between pet sizes. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning include vomiting, diarrhoea, restlessness, hyperactivity, trembling, increased drinking, muscle tremors and seizures. If you think your dog is suffering from chocolate poisoning, we recommend that you contact your local vet immediately or the Animal Emergency Centre Canberra on 6280 6344. Also see the RSPCA website for a more in depth article.

So, please have a very happy Easter but make sure that you keep all your chocolate goodies out of reach of greedy little paws. Remember, pet friendly chocolate alternatives are available if you can’t resist giving your pet a special treat this Easter!